Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Villahermosa to Veracruz

well I am in Villahermosa, a town near the Carribean (maybe an hour which is a wild guess) Its a city of over a half million (think) but the down town is nice. I have seen a total of 5 people that appear to be tourists- which makes it nice. The downtown has quite a few streets that are just pedestrian ways and a nice area for eating/drinking on the river. I am staying at the Hotel Oriente for 220 Pesos. Its nice (I'm on the 4th floor) but not any breeze (87 degrees in my room) but the ceiling fan should suffice (not much choice). The ride from Palenque was bout 2 1/2 hours (100 P). I bought a ticket for tommorow to Veracruz for 342 P that leaves at 10:00. I think its about 7 hours.
I wandered around town quite a bit today - had lunch and 2 beers soon as I got here by the river. The lunch was good (very) and the beer was 15 P for Negra Modela. The waiter tried to sit me in the shade and I wanted to be by the sun - that lasted about 3 minutes and I moved to the shade - suffice to say it was hot. The rest of the day was just walking around. There is a tower (quite high) on the pedestrian bridge over the river that you are supposed to be able to climb. It was closed - I was dissapointed.
Rained like crazy around 7 pm - super loud thunder and bright lightning. Super hard rain but for less than an hour. I had dinner outside (under cover) during the rain. It was across the street at an expensive hotel. The food wasn't bad (not great - just ok) and expensive. The beer was 30 Q for Negra Modelo (ouch).
Generally speaking the beer seems to cost less than in Guatemala and it is a better beer - or at least there are more options. Rooms are more and food not sure...
Not much else to say.buenas noches
good morning
I'm at the bus station, but can't get connected to the internet. For some reason It is hit and miss to connect. There are 2 symbols when I try to create a connection; locked and unlocked. There must be something else to try that I haven't figured out.
Had coffee across the street in the same plae (the sign says free wireless - no signal though). Just had coffee (2 cups) and it was 28 P - yikes.
Yesterday from the station to my hotel 20 P, this morning 15 P. I got here in my usual anal way at 8:25 for my 10:00 bus. I think its a 7 hour more or less ride. Seats more comfortable than greyhound but yesterday I was sitting next to the fatest man in Mexico, thus it was a bit tight (why me? Once from Tapachula to San Pedro Sula I was next to the fatest man in Honduras - must be a world record).
I'm in Veracruz (9:47 pm) can't connect to the internet and didn't see an internet place (well I saw one tiny one that was filled) and I'm wondering why the hell the packers are losing - it will be a fun year (yeah right - they will suck). Monday night basebol was on espn where I ate supper so I knew the 3rd qtr score by the ticker on the bottom.
The bus left on time (10:01) and I was walking off the bus at 7:29 - long day. 30 P taxi to my hotel (forget the name) and 150 P for my room. Last night I was on the "4th" floor and today I am on the "3rd" floor. Why the quotes? well the first floor is really the 2nd, etc. Not bad except that my backback is heavy - shit I forgot. In Coban, much higher elevation, I had to walk up a steep (very) hill and damn near died.
I plan to spend at least 2 nights here. The city (central) is awsome. Probably my second favorite next to Guanajuato. Tomorrow will be busy. Laundry, explore, bus station for my next ticket, and hang out next to the beach.
From here I plan to go to Tuxpan which is the town (famous) for where Che and Castro took off to launch their revolution against Batista in Cuba. There is a museum there (apparently not much else). Its possible that I will go to Xalapa first and then Tuxpan (not exactly sure).
hasta pronto

No comments: