Friday, August 1, 2008

Paty y Estelita


a bit more on my daughters:

Paty is now 17 and in first grade basico - which would be like 7th grade in our system. She is doing ok in school, hanging on but isn't a strong student - but when I met her in 2003 she was 12 and had never been to school (maybe she was in her first year - but I don't think so) and couldn't read at all. She has come a long way and has her head screwed on straight. She is very religious which I think helps. I was talking to her about my concerns re: the other girls leaving the fundacion (she is the last of the older girls that had been there for years) and the fact that Estelita is counting on her. I told her that I hope she stays until both her (not likely) and Estilita (likely) graduate from high school. She told me, "It was their decision to leave and I am not like them, don't worry my friend is God". I am confident in her.

Estilita is 12 and is in 6th grade primary (same as our system) and is finally doing good - last marking period all her grades were 90% and up. When I asked her what was different she said, "I want to be a singer and I have to do good in school, before I didn't care and was bored". I'm not sure I see the conection between school and singing - but whatever works. Actually there was a connection - I am now paying for voice lessons 1 hour per week, and it was made clear that her performance in school had something to do with this oportunity. Everyone - me, Sandra and Otto stressed to her that she needs to keep her grades up - I hope she was listening. I also told her that if she took advantage of this opportunity that there would be more in the future (guitar etc). Unfortunetly I'm not sure there is a way to make a living as a singer (not to mention a singer just interested in christian music) but its her dream and if along the way she gets her education then all is good.

Paty and Estilita are both "leaders" in the fundacion. Estelita and another girl (I always forget her name, but a real sweetheart also) have the little ones (4- 6 yr olds I would guess) and their is about 6 of them and Paty (alone I think) has the next group (maybe 7 - 12). Not sure how many. They are responsible to make sure they are clean, teeth brushed etc. They sleep in the same room with them. I spent most of my time with estelitas girls. They eat in their rooms - they set up tables and bring in the food in big serving dishes and sit down together at tables and eat. The girls make sure they say grace (its cute with the little ones) and afterwords they clean up. They used to eat in a big common room - this is more 'family like' and I like it.

By and large I would say the girls are doing really good - they now have email accounts so hopefully I can write to them a tad more.





Estelita y Esperanza at the feria after they got their trensas

No comments: