Sunday, August 3, 2008

las cataratas

This morning after breakfast (again at Restaurante El descanso) I went back to the hotel and asked the manager how to get to the falls - he gave me clear directions (not that it was hard to find) and I left at 8:30 and walked until 10:15 - I went somewhat past the falls. The problem is the whole damn way was downhill - I knew it would not be as easy going back. It was increadible - the vistas were beautiful (increadibly beautiful) and the garbage was horrible (increadibly horrible). Guatemala is a gorgeous country but the people litter like crazy. Actually most of the countryside was relatively liter free - it was the river that was dirty The people that I passed were all friendly. Every time I waved (2 motorcycles, 1 4 wheeler, and a pick up) they honked in response (or does that mean up yours gringo?). I waved at 2 guys coming down the mountain towards their pickup and when they went past me stopped and asked where I was going. When I was on my way back they passed me again and asked if I wanted a ride - I declined as I was on a hike - seemed cheating to get a ride back for the dificult (ok, not that dificult) part.

I'm going to try and put all the pictures up in picaso (sp?) with a link to the blog. Right now I am writing this with my laptop and will transfer it later. Most of the blogs (albeit aparently an insufficient quantity) have been written on my laptop.

I bit the bullet and am staying an extra night here - I am going on a hike tommorow - hired a guide. 6 hours - tengo miedo. It looks like about the same distance that I walked today, but uphill (as in a mountain). I am going to Cocop which is accesible aparently only by foot and was one of the hardest hit villages during the war. I might never come this way again so it pays to take this hike - 125Q which is much more than the lonely planet guide book says ($10) - but I think it will be well worth it.

Hasta pronto

No comments: