Friday, August 1, 2008

Saying Goodby

Well people are wondering if I'm still alive. Well only Don and Angie. I'm alive and kicking. As normal I spent the last 5 weeks studying (my word, definitely not the word my teachers would use) and visiting my girls. I went to pana, chichi and Quiche one weekend but due to my getting sick the last 2 weeks I didn't get out of huehue. I got the worst damn cold and cough. At its worst I wasn't sleeping at all at night, just coughing - no fever, the doc listened to my lungs - no problem, just a virus I guess.
This past week Sheny (director of the school) wanted me to stay for 2 more days (free lessons) and to stay at the school - I did, but instead of lessons I worked with her on the computer.

I was leaving on thursday morning so wed was my last day. Since there was a group of gringos with an activity on wed at the fundación salvación they gave me a going away party. Its normal to have an activity where they sing, dance, etc - however they had a dinner specially for me. Sandra had asked what I would like, chicken? or what was my favorite food. I told her that my favorite meal was tortillas, eggs, frijoles and rice. It really is just about my favorite food for dinner here. So thats what we had - it was really good. They always give me a gift (doesn't Sandra realize I am traveling with a backpack?), but this time my grand daughter got a present also (lucky kid got one from Sheny also). Paty and Estilita had to say something and give me the gifts. Estelita was first and could barely talk - I couldn't hear her standing next to her, she was fighting back the tears. Paty flat out couldn't talk and just sobbed - a precurser to the next day.

The next day was my last and I didn't want to hang out at the fundación after saying goodby so I just picked up paty and estelita (and esperanza) so that they could do what all good teenage girls do - spend dads money (sorry Angie - I forgot about that part when you were younger). Estelita is taking voice lessons 1 hour per week and its important that she gets there on time so I wanted to buy her a watch. Paty wanted cd's and they both wanted small packpacks. The only thing that esperanza asked for was somehting to eat (less than $1). I wanted to buy esperanza a stuffed animal so we went to this small stuffed animal store and I told her she could have any stuffed animal that she wanted - what did she pick? a big ugly thing - dora? is that from the dora the explorer that I have heard about? not sure, but there sure were cuter things than that to pick from - oh well, its her present - not mine. Well it was time to say goodby - I don't think that Esperanza understood that I was leaving - but maybe.

Anyway I brought Paty and Estelita into the office to say goodby. The poor girls - Estelita just sobbed in my arms and Paty was crying (truth be told I was also). There just is no easy way, the kids had a really rough life and I have been the only constant (go figure - me and the word constant) in their life besides the orphanage. I dearly love those girls...

No comments: