Wednesday, August 13, 2008

to visa or not to visa?

I am here in Tuxpan.

Today I had to decide whether or not to get legal in Mexico. To make my visa `valid´ I needed to go to the bank and pay 237 P. Normally its a no brainer because I need that piece of paper to leave the country. Normally because when you leave at the US border the rules are different. There is a `buffer´ zone more or less in Mexico (I think for 50 km) where the visa is not needed. So when you enter its different than entering Guatemala. I was sorely tempted (I mean why should I pay about $24 when I can get away with not paying it) but then I thought about all the bs that one has to go thru just to ask for a visa to come to the US. Last year Yesi payed 100 Q for a card which was good for one call to the embasy to make the appointment (thats about $13). Then she traveled to Guate by bus (both ways 120 Q) and she had to stay in a hotel for the night (I think it was around 100Q for the hotel). We are now up to about $60. She then had to take a taxi to the embasy, lay down $100 cash and then 10 minutes later her request came back (w/o an explanation) `denied´. All in all with taxis, food, etc $200 just to ask to visit the US. I decided it was just plain dumb to even think about not paying when I am allowed to visit Mexico when I ever I want.

I went to the bank today and paid my 237 P.

side note - Yesi applied a 2nd time and was granted a 15 day visa - what a bunch of bastards - they can´t stop the problem of illiegals so they do the next best thing - stop honest tourists from visiting - of course the illiegals keep on a truckin´.

No comments: