Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Leaving Veracruz

This is going to be disjointed.

I spent 2 nights (1 full day) in Veracruz. My buss leaves at 10:18 this morning for Tuxpan. As normal I am here waay too early. I got here at 8:30. Its not enough that I have to sit on a bus for 6 hours I also have to sit in the terminal for almost 2 hours.

Had breakfast in the Zocalo right in front of a hotel and was able to get on line (great connection). I first went to the place I had breakfast yesterday and they were open (7 am) but not serving breakfast for another 20 minutes. Apparently they were just finishing up last night. There was 2 or 3 tables of guys still (I assume 'still' is appropriate) drinking from last night. Are bars and restaraunts able to serve here 24 - 7?

Had shrimp for lunch and dinner. Very expensive but I am here, and it seems not to have shrimp when I am by the sea shore. Actually paid 115 P for dinner (plus beer) and 95 P (I think) for lunch (plus beer).

This terminal is kind of crazy. Seems like a bus is leaving every 5 minutes or even faster. Hope I don't miss my bus.

note: I didn´t miss the bus but it was impossible to know when to leave the waiting area. Normally there is a person at the door and if I´m not sure he/she will look at my ticket and then tell me. Today there wasn´t and the place is big. I went out and asked the gal (security) and the guy next to her said (to the gal), ¨tell him to wait here and then you can can tell him when the bus is here¨ (not a bad idea). It worked. The problem (besides not understanding the loud speaker) is that my bus was a `paseo´, which means it came in from somewhere else and just picked up a few people. It makes it harder that way than if it originates in the town.

I entered Mexico on a shuttle with 2 English speaking gals (one from England and one from Quebec (french speaking)) and since I have not heard one tourist speaking English and I am almost thru mexico. Now I have seen other tourists that I haven't heard, but I also haven't seen many tourists since Palenque( of course I have only been in 2 towns since Palenque).

Yesterday I resisted the temptation to buy Cuban Cigars (small box for 100 P complete with stamp) I am now regretting my decision. I still can't believe our stand (USA) after all these years re: Cuba. Well maybe in Tuxpan at the museum there will be something from Cuba that I can buy - maybe a t-shirt to cross the border in.

more later.

No comments: