Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 3 - Pana to Nebaj

Left pana at about 8:30 - only 1 small cup of coffee. Caught a guate bound bus so didn't have to switch in Solola (5Q pana to los encuentros). Took a leak in los encuentros (always a concern) Caught a camineta for Quiche so didn't have to switch in Chichi (15Q - I think). This bus exemplified the busses of Guatemala - I swear they put my pack uptop, unloaded 20+ people and 20+ got on in less than 1 minute. There was only a couple of people ahead of me but they (the local mayans) just forced their way - there was no line. I can't (by my standards) be rude and force my way (well not much anyway) because I feel like I am being a rude visitor. This time the ayudante yelled at me, "amigo" and I jumped in the back. I actually managed to get on and off all 3 busses from the back (without hitting my head - a first) - one of the ayudantes did warn me about my head. In Quiche (pissed again) I boarded a bus for Nebaj but had to wait for 45 minutes for it to take off. The ride from Quiche to Nebaj was spectacular. For a ways the road is the same that goes to huehue but then branches offf north. The scenery is spectacular. I had my camera in my bag in the overhead rack and didn't want to force people to move so I didn't take any pictures - hopefully I will get good pictures when I leave tommmorow. The entire ride was unbelievable scenery - words can't describe the beauty - the pictures I didn't take probably could.

Arrived in Nebaj at 1:30. Made reservations at 'media luna media sol' from the internet (www.hostelworld.com). I never have had problems with reservations from this page till yesterday. No reservation, no vacancy,

I was put out to say the least, but hey its supposed to be an adventure. Found (easily) hotel Naab'a' for 65Q, private bath, cable TV. The owner(manager ?) is an extremely friendly guy so I am OK with the 'problem'. However I do need to write to hostelworld because my card (I think) was charged about $3 for the reservation.

Hotel Del Centro Naab'a'
3a calle 3-18 Zona 1
phone;
7755-8101
5531-9130

I ate lunch and dinner at Restaraunte Descanso (which is affiliated with the hostel that didn't have my reservation). Its a neat place that was started by a Peace Corp Volunteer in 2001 as a way 'to create sustainable work opportunities for young people'. They have internet, restaraunt (13Q for a gallo) and a guide service. I don't know but am assuming its owned as a cooperative more or less.

This region of Guatemala was hit hard during the civil war - supposedly as hard as anyplace. This region is supposed to be very traditional. Their are half/full day hikes to outlying villages - not sure I am up to it or not. hmm

Mostly just chilled. Tommorow if I can find them I am going to walk to the local waterfalls - supposed to be about 75' high.

No comments: