Friday, August 1, 2008

Esperanza

ah Esperanza - her name means hope - how much is there really for her?
Esperanza is a child whose father (aparantley) fathered many children with his daughter - so her father is her grand father. The word when I first met her was eight kids and that he killed 6 of them. Later I heard something that maybe he didn't and that there was other siblings living somewhere else. All I know for sure is that mom, her and an older sister live at the fundacion. The mom is a shell of a person - just sort of shuffles around, which is an improvement from 2 years ago where she was a zombie who just stood in place - although she stands alot now - she doesn't contribute, but then there is really nothing left of her. I'm guessing that it would take years of work to repair her psyche(?). Irma the older (maybe 12 or 13) is in first grade primary(I think) - but has learning/intelligence(?) issues. However, she can talk.
Esperanza has hearing issues and severe speach issues. She is maybe 6 years old - nobody knows, and is finally learning to talk - not in sentances but in words. look, thank you, bathroom, etc. Everyday I hear her say more words. She can count to at least 10 which is something considering 1 year ago she could say papi, and a few names and thats it. In march I gave her a bracelet from my wrist and put it on her ankle. The first day I came back in June she pointed to the bracelet (still there) and to me and smiled. Which at first suprised me but I am sure she has somewhat reasonable intelligence. Is she CD? or just LD? using our labels. Again who knows - if you can't talk how can you comunicate? learn? or even demonstrated your intelligence? I started giving her coins this year (normally 1Q) and she would run to the farmacia (the fundacion has a small pharmacy) and buy a small little bag of snacks. One time I gave her 30 centavos and she gave it back - can't buy shit for 30 cents. From then on occasionally I would try and give her a 10 centavo coin and she always refuses it - but she never refuses 50 centavos or 1Q - or paper money.
Twice I left the fundaciĆ³n without her but went with Estelita. Both times when I came back she ignored me - usually she is like glue at my side. Both times that she was ignoring me she gave me a big hug and a kiss as I was leaving, but up to leaving you could tell she was pissed that I had left without her the previous time. One of the times when she was ignoring me was the next day. She is extremely jeolous of attention that I give the others her age or smaller.
My worry for her - as is for alot of the kids is: what is her future? and I can't give help to all of them. For her to go to school - and there is a 'special ed' school in huehue I guess, you would need transportation - the money just doesn't exist.
ciao

No comments: