Sunday, July 5, 2009

Why Do I Do This?

Found a wireless place so am having my 3rd dose of caffeine (they charged my 5P for the password) so I am posting this and the prievious 2 posts

7:56 am

Why Do I Do This?

I walked down to the central plaza to a café in hopes of getting a cappuccino and a wireless connection. I’ve got the cappuccino but not the wireless.

Now to the question I posed.
It seems somewhat bizarre that I would travel all this distance and only 1 time did spend 2 nights in the same place. Many of the places that I went to (In México all but PV) I would love to spend 2 or 3 days at.

I have always dreamed of traveling in this fashion. Slowly moving on (albeit on this trip it was quickly moving on) toward some goal. When I was a child I used to dream of riding my bicycle across the country. Every day moving on a bit farther. As a thirty something adult I canoed with Deb or friends and we moved on down the river every day – never staying 2 days at the same spot. I have also dreamed of canoeing the Mississippi from Lake Itasca to Gulf of México.

This form of traveling is what I like best – but to be honest it would be much better if I had the time to spend the 2 or 3 days at each spot.

Was this a great vacation? Hell yes it was. Can I explain why, not really. You either totally understand or you can never understand.

One thing this trip did teach me is that I can’t wait till I retire. If all goes well I’ll retire in 10 years at age 62 and then make the trip down the pan American from Alaska to the tip of South America and then maybe up the coast on the east (would have to spend some time learning Portuguese though. And no, I wouldn’t just travel on the pan American but travel south.

Will try and post this and then I’m Comitan bound. I figure 5 to 6 hours from when I leave here till I arrive in Huehue.

Not sure if I’m ready to study tomorrowL

No comments: