Tuesday, July 7, 2009

motorcyles

More or less I have this correct - a few details may be slightly off. I hope to talk to Otto tomorrow and make sure I have this all correct.

Due to the high numbers of murders commited from motorcycles there is a new law in Guatemala. I am assuming it is enforced in Guatemala City because it sure isn´t enforced here. With 2 people on a bike and helmets which function as a mask it is very easy to commit a drive by shooting or assasination and on a bike it is very easy to get away. The traffic is crazy and there is no way a car could get away but a bike is super easy.

The law as I understand it.
1) 1 person per bike
2) you must have a vest on that has your license plate number on it. These vests are black with reflective silver stripes and your plate number is reflective also. The vests come in different styles; mesh, a very light material, a heavier material and I´m sure they have them in jackets also.
3) if you wear a helmet it to must have the license plate number on it.

I assume that if you aren´t in compliance (in Guatemala City) you would be stopped. Nots sure if it helps or not.

No comments: