Friday, July 3, 2009

Friday Morning 3 July

Friday Morning 6:34 local

How do you spell idiot? Roger. Boy am I blind. Yesterday evening while I was waiting for my bus it was impossible to check my email or to post. This morning when we got almost to the bus station the driver put the lights on inside (it was just before 6am) and in big bright lettering the sign said wifi. I had just enough to see if I could actually log on and I could but not enough time to actually do anything.

The reason my bus was so expensive I guess was 3 things:

1) wifi
2) even thought the bus was de paso it made no other stops – 10 ½ hours and no stops (that’s a first for that distance anywhere
3) most buses are 2 seats then aisle then 2 seats. This bus was 1 seat then aisle then 2 seats – much more roomy and comfortable.



I got off the bus and took a leak – it’s the first place that I was unable to get through the turnstile with my backpack – some bus stations I don’t worry and just leave my back pack (not my messenger bag though with kindle, computer, camera, etc.).
Guy behind me took my messenger bag then passed it thru the turnstile. I had a moment of panic because if he took off with it I was screwed. Sometimes I think I am too trusting but it sure makes life more fun.

I’ve been here before (terminal norte) but I must tell you it’s flipping huge – and to think that there is 4 bus stations. I walked down half of the ticket counters and all destinations were north (duh its terminal norte) and I walked back and was debating whether or not I should just catch a taxi or was it really worth my time to look at the other half when I noticed the very first counter (ADO) had a bus to Tuxtla Gutirez (sp). That is much farther south than Oaxaca so I checked and got a 7:30 am bus to Oaxaca. I think it’s about a 6 or 7 hr ride but not sure. Stood in line for 20 minutes to get a gas station cappuccino (I could go for a stumpjack cappuccino right about now).

I plan to spend the night in Oaxaca and then make a run for the border – not sure I’ll make it but will try and get as far as possible – so much depends on when the bus leaves.

My bus leaves in 30 minutes so gotta go:)

No comments: