Saturday, July 4, 2009

july 4

6:35 am local time

Why do I keep saying local time – that’s stupid as I only use local time. I catch the bus in 25 minutes. Actually I need to go out there 10 to 15 minutes early. By this time I used to go crazy but now I am somewhat relaxed about catching my bus.Slept like a baby last night – was in bed at 9:15 and snoring by 9:16 I’m pretty sure.I got up this morning at 5:30 and was out the door at 6 to come here.3 years ago at this very time I stayed in the same place. Casa Arnel is very nice, reasonable and quite (except during world cup games). I know it was the same time because this weekend is the election (first Sunday in July) and I entered Guatemala that year on Sunday – I spent Friday and Saturday night at the casa 3 years ago and only Friday this year. The difference? 3 years ago it was packed with travelers from around the world. This year I saw no other travelers. There might have been other guests, I can’t be sure. I was in the common area from 7:30 till 9 last night and saw no one. I talked to the owner and she said between the swine flu and the economy it’s been bad. Most people (taxi drivers and the random wierdos I talk to) have mentioned the flu when I talked about the lack of tourists. (I’m on the bus now) Most of the busses that I’ve been on have been empty (relatively speaking) until I got on this bus. It’s packed. I hope that people (tourists) aren’t avoiding Mexico because of some ignorant concern about the influenza. I think that the economy must be the main reason, although I read somewhere in the spring that Mexico was going to begin a 90 million dollar add campaign to try and bring tourists back to Mexico. I believe this was aimed primarily at those people going to the resorts that I don’t go to. They were going to try and encourage people to go to Cancun (for example) but not ever mention the word Mexico. Don’t know if this campaign ever was run (don’t really watch TV).

In the north getting on the bus was as simple as showing your ticket. At Mexico City I got patted down (everyone but old ladies were). Here in Oaxaca they ran the wand (metal detector not magic) over me and then they walked through the bus with the video camera filming everyone. They made me take my hat off. Does that mean there is more crime the farther south you go? I thought the danger was in the north and the city. Without a doubt the worst bus station that I went to was in Nogales. The station in Oaxaca was very nice and I even was able to get a good cup of cappuccino. Mexico Cities station is what it is – very busy. Manzanillo had a very nice modern station. Puerto Vallarta had a much smaller station than I had anticipated, but I guess most tourists travel by plane. In PV just as in Mexico City by you need to buy a ticket from the kiosk to give to the taxi driver. At the kiosk you must tell the ticket person where you are going - a pain in the ass if you don’t know where you are going. Well it’s also a pain in the ass typing this so I’m going to sign off.

Ciao

I´m in Tehuantepec. Arrived at noon but couldn´t catch a bus till 11:30 tonight. I bought a ticket to Tuxtla Gutierrez for then. Checked the 2nd class station next door and they had a bus leaving at 4pm. Didn´t really help me as I don´t want to arrive at 10 at night. Got a hotel (230P) and at least can nap and take a shower. Had a great meal and a couple of beers - didn´t think I could buy a beer from midnight last night till monday morning. I´m guessing this far from anything they just don´t care about the law or maybe I misunderstood. Most latin countries I believe have laws about selling alcohol on election day.

My ticket for this morning was 174P and my ticket for tonight was 202P.

Basically I should arrive in Tuxtla around 5 am. Its then 3 hours to Comitan by bus. After that colective to the border (1 hour) and then 2 hours by bus to huehue. should be there by late lunch tomorrow.

Speaking of border crossings I hate them. Crossing into the USA because imigracion are ass holes and every other country because the money changers are rip off artists and I need Quetzals. I thought I packed mine but didn´t - oh well.

hasta luego and happy 4th of July and happy b-day eldest son

No comments: