Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Garbage, Rats & Bastard (or Angel)

Last December (I believe) was the election and Danilo Angel (not to be confused with an angel but hereafter referred to as the bastard) won the election for mayor.

Understand that I am a lazy ass student of Spanish and that I may or may not have my facts correct. I understand most everything when I talk with my friends who use good (and slow) Spanish (most does not mean all and often 1 word can change the meaning significantly).

OK. Angel (oops, the bastard) won the election (I believe it was his third attempt) and one of his platforms was making Huehue a cleaner place. Immediately after he took office things actually got better. Garbage pickup was run by a private company and people paid the company to pick up the garbage weekly (just as in the states – at least in TR). I believe it was 30Q a month but I’m not going to swear to that. Anyway before long he had the city take over the garbage pickup. Otto (my friend) believes that his advisors persuaded him to do this by convincing him it would be a huge money maker for the city. I’m not sure how he managed to take over but things down here are not as they are at home.

So now the bastard has control of the garbage pickup and can rake in the revenue for the city (and presumably skim his cut off the top) and guess what happened? The dump said “up yours”. The city was not allowed to dump anymore. This I don’t understand but I am guessing maybe they didn’t want to accept the garbage anymore and this was an easy out (pure speculation on my part). The city continued to look for places to dump as the garbage piled up. They made several attempts to have the garbage dumped elsewhere (I’m guessing with midnight runs or at least in secret) and this resulted in having the truck destroyed by really pissed off people in (I think) 2 instances. With nowhere to dump the garbage piled up.

This problem took place in March – June (I think) although I heard nothing in March when I was here but I was only here for a few days and the problem was just starting. Apparently at its worst it was a mess. Now there is (apparently) less of a problem (it has all been picked up) although the garbage pickup is sporadic at best. Many times in the morning I see where people made midnight runs to dump their garbage somewhere on the street. I do not know where they (the city) dump now.

At some point the bastard took off and is nowhere to be found although he is still the mayor. Maybe he is with the Honduran president? I think if he returned he would not live long. My friend Jorge works for the city and he will only say it’s not good. Apparently (from Otto) money from the government and from other countries earmarked for different projects is missing. All Jorge will say is it’s not good – I think he may be worried about his job (pure speculation) and he isn’t that far from retirement.

Where do rats fit into this? Although some may call the bastard a rat I believe in calling it as I see it. My question is: Where are the rats? With all the garbage that I have seen (and what I heard there was) I would have believed the population of rats would have skyrocketed. I have not seen a single rat (although I’m not out at night). However, apparently Typhoid Fever is a problem.

Never trust them angels.

No comments: