Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Night

I’m in El Fuerte but not sure when I can post this as I don’t have internet (ok obviously I have it - its a weak signal but it will do - I wrote this thinking I don't have a connection).

I was in bed around nine (give or take) but did not sleep soundly after 2 am as I was worried about missing my train. Well I didn’t miss it but was exhausted. The first hour was somewhat boring and I kept drifting off to sleep. We left at 6 am sharp and at 7 breakfast was served – I screwed up the order and thought I was ordering eggs Mexican style but I clearly ordered something else off the menu that was expensive and crappy – I should read the menu better.

After breakfast (and 3 cups of coffee) I spent a good part of the day between 2 cars (in the area that the sign says not to be) taking a gazillion pictures. I am an idiot. Last night I charged the batteries for both my cameras but didn’t bother to charge my spare battery. My little camera really doesn’t work well when there is a lot of movement while my Lumix has a sport mode that made taking pictures a breeze (that’s the one I have an extra battery for) and wouldn’t you know it but the battery didn’t make it.

When I wasn’t standing between the cars in the afternoon I was in the ‘lounge’ car having a few beers talking with some ladies from Mexico City. There were 5 of them taking a vacation together (10 years they have done this) minus husbands. It was entertaining.

The scenery was awesome but not what I expected. I realize to understand the true magnitude of this place its necessary to spend a few days and take side trips up the canyons. It was well worth the price though.

We got in to the station at 6:15 only 5 minutes behind schedule (if only greyhound and Amtrak could do that). The station is away from town and there were taxis waiting. They were actually larger SUV type vehicles and took more than 1 person. I told the guy where I wanted to go (from Lonely Planet) and he said it doesn’t exist – hmm. I then told him my criteria – inexpensive, clean and near the center of town. He says what is inexpensive and I say 300 P (which is $22 or $23) but I prefer less. Well he took me to a place which is exactly what I asked for (no complaints at all) and what do you know but it’s exactly 300 P. I’m guessing there was a hand signal telling him what I was willing to pay – it’s just too convenient. Anyway the place is great and when I came back from dinner I took a shower and then sat out in front of the hotel sipping a beer and talking with the owner (I think he is, at least the mgr.) and his family. It was fun.

I bought a hand woven basket (very small) for 30 P at one of the places that the train made a short stop. I hope it makes it to Guatemala in one piece. I’ll probably give it too Sheny.

Not sure what I’m doing tomorrow – other than heading south. I have a lot of miles to go and not enough time to do it in.

No comments: