Friday, June 26, 2009

25 June

Had a great relaxing time in Flagstaff – it’s an awesome downtown. I’m thinking its typical of college downtowns but mix in the oldness and it was great. The hostel was good but a private room was expensive ($42) but it was downtown and it was a hostel. One of the traditions in hostels is that travelers can stay for free and work for their room. The guy I was talking to last night spend time in the India House which is the hostel I stayed in New Orleans.

I got up at 5:30 and left at 7 for the bus station (it’s a 15 minute walk). My bus left at 8. Had an interesting talk at the station with a lady traveling with her kids around the country. The bus ride from Flagstaff to Phoenix was crowded and boring. From Phoenix to Nogales was boring but not crowded.
Arrived in Nogales at 4:40 pm and went in to the bus station to take a piss.
side note:
when I worked for Lorrigan’s we took the work truck to the parade in Francis Creek – why we wanted to be in the parade (I abhor parades) is beyond me. We started drinking about 8 am and then went to breakfast in Francis Creek. I had to piss and went in the bathroom, locked the door and went about my business. When I went to leave I unlocked the door, turned the handle and pulled. Son of a bitch, but the door handle was in my fucking hand. I was locked in. The restaurant was packed. Here I am pounding on the door to get out – finally one of the guys we were having breakfast said to Dupes and Jason – “isn’t that your friend in their pounding on the door?” – talk about my most embarrassing moment of my life. I live in mortal fear of this happening again.
OK, so I had to piss. As I am about 100 ft from the border the reality is that I’m in pseudo Mexico so I had to pay to use the toilet. I put my $.25 in the door thingy turned the handle and went about my business. I went to leave and there was no door handle. Holy fucking shit – I’m locked in a bathroom for the 2nd time in my life – this just doesn’t happen to people. I calmed down, took out a quarter and was able to use it as a screw driver to unlatch the mechanism and grabbed the closer above the door and was able to open the door. That was close.

Walked across the border (much more convenient than Brownsville or Del Rio). You just walk across and you are in Mexico – no immigration. This bit me in the ass when I crossed in Del Rio (I was an illegal) so I asked for immigration and instead of stamping my visa as is normal and saying I must go to the bank to pay my money he made me pay before he would stamp it. The bank was about 45 seconds away and it was very convenient and easy. It took me about 10 minute’s total.

I then found a taxi and told him I needed to go to an ATM machine and then to the main bus station. I was a bit aprehensive as I couldn't see the taxi while I was getting money - would my backpack be there when I was done - it was. I bought a ticket for 7 am to Chihuahua which is a 12 hour bus ride and then sent Deb a text and she made me a reservation in the youth hostel there for 2 nights. I would have done it but I have no internet and last night I had no idea if I could get a bus for Chihuahua and if I would be leaving tonight or tomorrow.

From Chihuahua I will decide if I want to take the train or head to Zacatecas – I think I will opt for the train as it has been a dream to take it and then maybe I will take the beach route.

No comments: