Monday, June 22, 2009

day 5

I left Lusk at 6ish and headed south on 85. For the next 47 miles I saw 7 or 8 deer and less than a dozen cars (it was Sunday morning). I also saw 1 porcupine. I think the deer are different and some I'm pretty sure are antelope - are there both deer and antelope here?

I stopped at a little diner for breakfast at Torrington and then headed east on 26 into Nebraska. Just before the border I stopped at a gas station to find a map of Nebraska and she rather snottily told me this was Wyoming (no shit I thought but I'm about to enter Nebraska dumb ass).

In Nebraska I turned south in Scott's Bluff on 71. It was beautiful.

I wasn't in Nebraska long and then I entered Colorado. I drove on 71 to highway 350. Highway 71 was remote beautiful and again indescribable.

From Kimball Nebraska to Brush was about 70 miles with almost nothing in between. From Brush to Limon was 73 miles of incredibly remote. Limon to Ordway was 75 miles of equally incredible beauty and remoteness.

I was a tad worried on these stretches as it was very remote and got hotter and hotter as I headed south. I didn't want my car to overheat so as it got hotter I drove slower. I was driving at 50 once it was above 90. I had zero problems but I figured it was better to be cautious.

Once I hit 350 I had about 70 miles to drive to Trinidad. Again beautiful, remote and spectacular.

Trinidad was a beautiful town. I stayed in Lake Trinidad State Park. I had a non electric site for $14 plus $6 parking sticker. It was a beautiful view of the lake.

I had dinner at a pizza place (had Lasagna) and a flying dog pale ale:) The food was very good and then I went back and read for a bit and hit the sack at 9 pm mountain time.

I got up at 7 am and it was 53 degrees. It was still in the low 80's when I came back from the restaurant.

I was on the road at 7:30 and my beginning mileage was 1799 which means I drove 479 miles total.

I'm writing this from Fort Garland CO at a coffee shop and heading east to four corners or south to Taos NM - don't know

No comments: