Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'm out of sync here

Today is Wednsday and I'm really behind (sorry Angie)

Last night I camped at some non descript booring RV park between Winslow and Flagstaff. $25/night. Spent a good part of the evening talking with a guy from Georgia and his daughter. He was the other 'tenter' although they actually are 'hammockers' (www.hammockforums.net).

This morning I got up at 5:30 local time (I’m still on central time and AZ is on mountain standard time not daylight savings time so there is a two hour difference). I drove about 35 miles into Flagstaff and hit 25oo miles in Flagstaff. I drove the length of town and found a storage place on the end of town and they are full (size I need) He told me the only other place was on the other end of town 8 miles out – lying bastard. I passed 2 places, the first had no openings for vehicles and the second did. It was about 2 miles or a tad less out of town. I took the place for $74/month. The manager was very friendly and helpful.

Once I left I tried hitchhiking until the curb and gutters started about a mile down the road as there was no place for a vehicle to safely pull over. So I walked for about 2 miles total and then found the local city bus stop. I asked a guy if this stop would get me into downtown and he said yes. I asked how much and he said $1. I asked if they gave change and he said no – fortunately he had change for a 5.

Took the bus to the down town and was dropped off right by the chamber of commerce who gave me directions to the Grand Canyon Youth Hostel. Got a single room and then walked to the bus station. I have an 8am bus to Nogales. I hate greyhound with a passion. The qualifications to be an employee are to be a lazy obnoxious ass. They are all jerks and I don’t exaggerate.

Since I’ve been here I’ve walked around and sat at outdoor cafes and sipped good micro brew. The down town is wonderful and I could see coming here again. I love Flagstaff.

No comments: