Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 4

Today I started at 907 and finished at 1320. It was an incredible journey. I will try and break it into
segments.

Segment 1
I was on the road at about 6 am and wanted gas. In Burke and Gregory Gas was not to be had (premium that is that wasn't flex fuel). I ended up buying gas in Winner along with coffee:)

13 miles outside of Winner I turned off of 183 and traveled 39 miles. I saw 5 vehicles (going in the opposite direction), 6 deer and approximately 20 pheasant. The pheasant were mostly in the first 20 miles. As the terrain changed the sitings stopped. It also could have been the time of day. I saw one on a fence post and like an idiot didn't take a picture. I saw a total of 40 pheasant. I'm sure thats more than I've seen in my whole live. Is SD a pheasant mecca? If I saw that many there must be gazzilions of them.

Segment 2
I then turned on 83 for 3 miles before the next 23 mile section of 44 in which I saw 6 cars.

The next 16 miles of 44 I saw 2 turkeys and 3 cars.

The next 36 miles of 44 I saw 11 cars.

I use the term cars to mean vehicles.

I passed a town called Wood which had a population of about 70 but a sign pointing to the 'business district'. It wasn't the only small town with a business district but might have been the smallest.

This segment can best be described as prarrie but with a many cattle. Some fields were plowed and in general it was beautiful but remote. There was the occasional tiny town or farm - where do these kids go to school? Its crazy.

Segment 3
I entered the Badlands National Park (free this weekend) and drove through a good portion of it. Incredible is the best way to describe it. Beautiful. Words don't do justice to this place. It is aptly named and incredible.

Segment 4
Once I left the Badlands I drove to Wall (home of the famous Wall Drug). Population 800 something and a gazzillion motels, gas stations etc. I got gas and hit the road. From Wall I went to Rapid City (50 miles away) by interstate. I needed to make time and it saved me hours.

In Rapid City I stopped at the Firehouse Brewery and had a beer - it was good (very) but sadly they don't bottle it so I couldn't buy some for my cooler.

Segment 5
The Black Hills. Maybe 30 minutes out of Rapid City. The terrain changed in an instant - prarrie like to mountains with majestic pines. Not sure my car likes the mountains but beautiful. I drove by Mount Rushmore but didn't pay the $10 to park so I got no pictures. It was incredible. For the next 1 to 2 hours (from Rapid City) I drove through incredible beauty marred only by
disgusting tourist attractions.

Segment 6
After Custer the countryside slowly then more rapidlly changed from mountains with beautiful forests to hills and scrub brush to prarrie.

I entered Wyoming.

I drove to Lusk which seems like a nice town and found a campground (basically for RV's) but they have tent sites and it only cost $15. According to the kid at the desk they have wifi (because you are reading this its true). Right now I'm at a pizza joint in town and had a great pizza and beer from the Alaska Brewing Co. on tap. If the kid was correct I will be posting this soon.

South Dakota:
as you head west it gets more poverty stricken and more beautifull. I was awestruck by this state. I had no idea.

I've been averaging just over 45 mpg on the trip.

Tommorow I will go to Colorado, from there not sure.



No comments: