Monday, August 6, 2007

Monday

I forgot to mention that I didn´t realize until 8 pm last night that the time zone is different in México than in Guatemala - oops, good think I wasn´t traveling by bus.
Going to bed at 3 am is not recommended, but I was up at 8 am. Had coffee and chatted with the guy from México last night and a gal from España until 9am. Then went to the bank - the first bank had a line over a block long outside the bank (no exaggeration) and the second one was packed inside, so I said screw it and went back to leave.
Took a colectivo to Ocosingo. Left at 9:30 and got here at about 11:30 I think. 40 Pesos. The way the colectivos work is they wait till they are full and then they take off - this was a 13 passenger van. The countryside is beautiful - heavily wooded with hills and small pueblos. It is a very poor area but I believe rich in resources which had something to do with the Zapatista revolución.
Found a cheap place here (60 Pesos) - it is very simple and I don´t think I would stay again - I guess its better to pay a tad more.
Ocosingo is small (30,000), much hotter than San Cristóbal and I don´t think they see many tourists - however a guy from Wisconsin sat down next to me in this internet place - small world. I payed my 237 pesos at the bank, but the gal was perplexed as what to do - it got figured out (I think) or at least I am 237 pesos poorer.
Off to lunch and a siesta.

No comments: