Friday, August 10, 2007

hmm, maybe not the brightest thing I´ve done...

I traveled from the border to Comitan to San Cristóbal de las Casas to Ocosingo to Palenque by colectivo - why not continue???
This morning I got up and left at 7:30 for Playas de Catazajá by colective - very easy as the place was 2 short blocks from my hotel. 15 pesos and about 30 minutes later I was at the intersection of the highway that runs from Villahermosa to Campeche. I only wanted to go as far as Escárcega on my way to Tulum. Que problemas. It was the end of the road for the colectivos - aparently they don´t run everywhere. I had to wait 2 hours to catch a 2nd class bus to Chetumal which took 8 hours to get to. I still lack 4 hours.
Chetumal however is a very nice town - I am a little surprised by the number of gringos (europeans) here - I didn´t expect it from the lonely planet guide book - the number of gringos is proportional to the number of pages written about a given location (normally). It is a town of 130,000 with broad boulevards, nice shops etc - por eso fue necesario pagar 200 pesos por mi havitación.
tommorow I leave at 8:30 for Tulum.
no regrets - beat the hell out of traveling all night.
ciao

No comments: