Sunday, August 5, 2007

Huehue to San Cristóbal de las Casas

I left yesterday (1 day late). Carlos drove me to the terminal (actually the main drag near the terminal) and I caught a bus to La Mesia. La Mesia is the guatemalan border town near México. I borderd the bus at 10:18 am and was walking across the border at 12:30 (Q 15 for the buss). Once across the border it was a 10 peso colectivo for the 4km to immigration.
I believe its $1 US for 11 pesos, but the bastard only gave me 10 to the dollar - I only traded $40 cuz I knew I was being ripped off, but I needed pesos.
Went through immigration, I still need to go to the bank to pay my 237 pesos for my tourist card - which will never be looked at by anyone. From there I took a collectivo to Comítan (25 P) and then another to San Cristóbal de las Casas (30 P). 2 government checkpoints on the first leg and one on the 2nd. They searched the van on the first but not anyothers and the last one he walked through the bus and only asked me if I was from the states.
I got to Comítan about 2:20 and San Cristóbal de las Casas about 4:15. I am staying in a nice hostel (private room with bath and hot water) for about $9 US per night. They also have free internet and coffee.

No comments: