Saturday, June 30, 2007

reflexions

I am still amazed that Luis offered to go with me Tuesday. Would that ever happen in the states? I have tried thinking of the times help is offered and I can´t think of an equivalent - I was not even truly lost - they decided I needed to go up the stairs and then any idiot could have followed the road. Why then did Luis offer to go with me? He was just being friendly. I don´t believe that there were any ulterior motives. I brought up that I wanted to buy a hammock so the fact that I bought stuff was purely on me and the price I payed was fair. I saw an equivalent hammock at the market and asked the price. The guy told me $12 and then I said thanks and left - he immediately went down to $10 which is what I payed (to Luis for the hammocks that I bought) - I probably could have gotten him down a tad lower, but I felt I payed a very fair price without bargaining - in fact it seemed cheap. And then when I gave Luis his present he felt the need to reciprocate. I just am astounded by the friendliness - it makes one think. I still haven´t said anything about yesterday - but walking 10 -12 miles downhill sure sounds easy (until you do it). Boy am I sore today - not to mention the 2.5 hour walk with Luis and Susana - I will sleep like a baby tonight.

1 comment:

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.