Saturday, June 30, 2007

el lechero

Today I met Luis at 9 as we had planned Tuesday (today is Sat) and I met his family. Luis had told me that he makes hammocks and I had told him that I was interested in buying one. I think that the hammocks (2) that I bought though are made by Susana (his wife) and her family - I still lose shit in the translation. I bought other stuff made by Susana and Luis´s father. I gave Luis a packer hat and candy (the candy I said was for the kids in the neighborhood) as a gift - in my mind it was a small gift in comparison to his offer on Tuesday to guide me - apparently he felt obliged to give me a gift also and gave me a CD of his (Ecuadorian Music) - anyway I spent $40 which I am sure is helpful, of course now I need to remodel the upstairs ´´nook`` to hang the hammocks. Note to Deb - I bought 2 scarves also. Afterwords Luis, Susana, baby and I hiked up to ´´el lechero`` and also went to ´´cascada de pechuga`` a second time on our way.


´´el lechero`` and it was quite a hike - arriba, arriba, arriba. The tree gets its name from the leaves. If you break open the leaf it has a milky white substance - similar to milkweed.







laguna de san pablo - from close to ´´el lechero``









yours truly in front of the tree








Otavalo








These following 2 looms are the looms of the father of Luis. The one on the left made the scarves that I bought.











The family of Luis










On our way up after the falls










The falls looking down from the top (same falls as earlier post)

No comments: