Thursday, July 5, 2007

llegé a Guatemala

I landed in Guatemala at about 12:30 and had previously arranged by email with atitrans to catch the 2:30 tourist shuttle to Panajchel. The construction at the airport is still going on and is somewhat a mess, but I think it will be nice when its done. I miss the old though - the first time I ever came here I felt like I was stepping into the past - no more.
My shuttle came after waiting forever (which I knew was going to happen) and I was the only one in the van on the first leg to Antigua. In Antigua while I waited I went across the street for a coffee and the owner of the cafe spoke perfect English - there is a reason I went (and go) to Huehue to study Spanish. Again I was to only one going to Pana so this time I was in a private car. 10 people or 1 person the ride is $22 - not a bad deal. I had a great time talking with my driver and last night it made me think why I love this place so much - to be able to communicate in a different language with people from a different culture is such a trip. We talked about family, life and the upcoming (Sept) Guatemalan election. Not that my Spanish is good, but I can communicate.
Once we got to Pana and were going down Calle Santander (main drag) to Mario´s Rooms (my pension of choice) we passed Candelaria and Concepción (my 2 friends here) and I yelled out the window, ``hola chicas´´ (you must understand that it is impossible to travel more than 10 mph in the evening on Calle Santander) and they both yelled out ``Roger´´. I was only about 40 feet from Mario´s Rooms and they waited while I checked in. We then went out for dinner (stopping buy to say hi to Candelaria´s mom on the way) and had a great time - they are such neat kids.
well I guess its time to go

No comments: