Saturday, June 28, 2008

Home to Guatemala City

Left Two Rivers wed. early afternoon for Chicago and stayed at what was the Exel Inn for $71. Left the motel at 4:45 am for my flight to Mexico City. The following was written on the plane from Mexico City to Guatemala City.

Arrived in Mexico City at 11:40, which was 20 minutes early - cleared customes at 12:59. I hustled to customs knowing the drill and the line moved ever so slowly. There were some people complaining that the had conecting flights and they were let thru - pissed off the rest of us. What really sent my blood pressure up was when I finally got to my gate one of the girls that 'had a flight to catch' was at the gate waiting for the same plane I was. I walked at a slow sprint to get to my gate but made it 20 minutes before they started boarding (time enough for one 38 peso beer).
Thoughts for the future - never cut the time short in Mexico City.

Next to the gate was a money exchange kiosk and they were buying dollers for 10.15 pesos and selling dollers for 10.75 pesos. Under the sign it said 'no commision' huh? If I exchanged my doller and then decided to reexchange it I would be .60 pesos short - if that ain't a commission what is?
Flight from Chicago was booked but this flight has empty seats. Again I love flying mexicana - the food is good and the beer is free, though I confess I didn't have a free beer, instead bought one at the airport (never claimed to be smart).
Right now I am typing this on the plane using a text document and plan to paste it onto my blog - hope it works.
Thoughts on the Chicago terminal - ugh, ugh and double ugh. You go thru security and then you can't even get a cup of coffee - course you also can't bring it with you - dangerous liquid and all. Than goodness I learned from my trip with Don at spring break - so at least I ate and had a cup of coffee before I went thru security. Got to the terminal with ususal Roger like efficiency - I was there at least 45 minutes before they opened (but at least I have never missed a plane like someone else I know (deb))

No comments: